Skip to main content

Hope for Children, Moldova

Support for orphaned and impoverished children in Moldova

"Hope for Children" provides education and basic support for about 80 orphaned and impoverished children aged between 6 to 16 years in the communities of Tirnova and Taul located in the rural north of Moldova.

How the initiative makes a difference 

“Hope for Children” aims to improve the physical well-being of about 80 orphaned and impoverished children living in the rural communities of Tirnova and Taul and to offer them a perspective towards the future. The support includes free meals in schools, afternoon care, homework groups, educational offers, hygiene support, and visits to families in particularly critical cases. The integration of problematic parents in the project gives the children positive experiences and helps them to improve their situation in the long run. The 1-2 best performing students are granted high school scholarships.

All project-supported children are attending school regularly, 17 project graduates moved on to secondary schools, and the first project graduate has started studying at a university. In addition to increasing the probability of finding a job from 20% to 60% and decreasing the probability of going to jail from 20% to almost 0% for the children, the project is also generating economic value of about 600k EUR per year.

How we engage

McKinsey for Children covers 100% of the total funding. The project has been supporting over 200 children at ages between 6 and 16 years since 2009. Each child spends about 20 hours per week with the project, in which they socialize and receive support from a team of social workers whenever needed.

Together with this strong team of social workers and a project leader in Moldova, we were able to prove the scalability of the Hope for Children concept by conducting a successful pilot project in the capital Chisinau.

Why it matters

Moldova is one of the poorest countries in Europe facing a detrimental economic and social situation with corruption, deserted villages and extreme poverty. Many parents were forced into economic migration, often leaving their children behind. Today, about 30,000 children live without their parents. They are forced to manage their own and their siblings’ lives in an environment of failing social systems and high crime rates. Children who didn’t lose their parents are equally suffering from Moldova’s problems – extreme poverty and parents’ neglect, alcoholism, or violence. Many parents also involve their children in inappropriate physical work, detrimental to emotional health and school performance. As a result, many children are malnourished, illiterate, and in severe health conditions.